Rain Pryor pulls no punches in her memoir about life as the ”Black Jewish American Princess” offspring of the late comedian Richard Pryor. Using the same profanity-laced wit her father perfected, she unspools darkly comic stories about a childhood filled with the elder Pryor’s prostitutes, drug use, and physical abuse, but never devolves into self-pity or bitterness: ”I wondered why I wasn’t angrier with him. But I never felt anger. The motherf—er had a hold on me, and I couldn’t help but love him.” By the end, though, Richard Pryor remains as much a mystery to readers as he does to his daughter.
Jokes My Father Never Taught MeRain Pryor pulls no punches in her memoir about life as the ''Black Jewish American Princess'' offspring of the late comedian Richard Pryor. Using the...Jokes My Father Never Taught MeNonfictionCathy Crimmins, Rain PryorRain Pryor pulls no punches in her memoir about life as the ''Black Jewish American Princess'' offspring of the late comedian Richard Pryor. Using the...2006-11-15Regan Books
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Cathy Crimmins, Rain Pryor; Publisher: Regan Books
Posted November 15 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Cary Fukunaga leaves Stephen King adaptation 'It,' production indefinitely delayed
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas' 'Trust You': Hear it, get scoop on new album
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!