Most know Mae West only from groundbreaking comedies like I’m No Angel. But Simon Louvish, using clips and the star’s personal archive, re-creates her rich vaudeville years singing and shimmying, followed by her hot-button plays Sex (for which she was jailed), The Drag (exploring homosexuality), and The Pleasure Man (more homosexuality, plus castration) in Mae West: It Ain’t No Sin. Just as fascinating are details of West’s battles with Hollywood censors. (A note for Belle of the Nineties curiously suggests deleting the line ”It pays to be good — but it don’t pay much.”) While old age was unkind, in 1978’s Sextette she did get to say the F-word on screen.
Mae West: It Ain't No SinMost know Mae West only from groundbreaking comedies like I'm No Angel. But Simon Louvish, using clips and the star's personal archive, re...Mae West: It Ain't No SinBiography, NonfictionSimon LouvishMost know Mae West only from groundbreaking comedies like I'm No Angel. But Simon Louvish, using clips and the star's personal archive, re...2006-11-22Thomas Dunne Books
Genre: Biography, Nonfiction; Author: Simon Louvish; Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books
Posted November 22 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!