Most know Mae West only from groundbreaking comedies like I’m No Angel. But Simon Louvish, using clips and the star’s personal archive, re-creates her rich vaudeville years singing and shimmying, followed by her hot-button plays Sex (for which she was jailed), The Drag (exploring homosexuality), and The Pleasure Man (more homosexuality, plus castration) in Mae West: It Ain’t No Sin. Just as fascinating are details of West’s battles with Hollywood censors. (A note for Belle of the Nineties curiously suggests deleting the line ”It pays to be good — but it don’t pay much.”) While old age was unkind, in 1978’s Sextette she did get to say the F-word on screen.
Mae West: It Ain't No SinMost know Mae West only from groundbreaking comedies like I'm No Angel. But Simon Louvish, using clips and the star's personal archive, re...Mae West: It Ain't No SinBiography, NonfictionSimon LouvishMost know Mae West only from groundbreaking comedies like I'm No Angel. But Simon Louvish, using clips and the star's personal archive, re...2006-11-22Thomas Dunne Books
Genre: Biography, Nonfiction; Author: Simon Louvish; Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!