Dennis Lehane offers a less sanguine glimpse of humanity in the five chilly stories in his 2006 collection Coronado, narrated with understated grace by Stanley Tucci. In ”Until Gwen,” a newly released ex-con hooks up with his grifter dad, and the two zigzag to both a grim understanding and a grimmer destination. In ”Gone Down to Corpus,” a bitter high school football star destroys the home of the rich kid who fumbled in their final game. Lehane writes beautifully about constricted lives in a world where blue-collar male rage is always at a low simmer. Alas, these tales lack the wide-bore impact of Lehane’s novels, like 2001’s Mystic River, and Tucci can’t breathe life into this slight, wintry collection.
Coronado (Book - Audio) Dennis Lehane offers a less sanguine glimpse of humanity in the five chilly stories in his 2006 collection Coronado, narrated with...Coronado (Book - Audio) Dennis Lehane offers a less sanguine glimpse of humanity in the five chilly stories in his 2006 collection Coronado, narrated with...2006-11-24HarperAudio
Lead Performer: Stanley Tucci; Publisher: HarperAudio
Posted November 24 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!