Everybody has an off day at work, but when you’re starring in your first major feature film — directed by Steven Spielberg, no less — not being in the zone can seem catastrophic. Fortunately for Djimon Hounsou, when he suffered such a crisis shooting 1997’s Amistad, Morgan Freeman was on hand. On his second day on the set, the 42-year-old actor recalls, ”I was just numb that day for some reason. I walked over to Morgan and said, ‘Hypothetically, as you’re working, do you sometimes not feel anything?’ He turned to me and said, ‘Some days you feel very connected and on point with every aspect of your character. Other days, it’s just nonexistent. But that’s part of the character and part of you. Don’t stress about it. Stay with the moment.”’ Hounsou has let that Zenlike advice guide him through a wide range of films, from Gladiator to In America, for which he received an Oscar nomination in 2004. (Hounsou has two movies out this December: Eragon and Blood Diamond.) Though Freeman hasn’t worked with Hounsou since Amistad, the Oscar-winning star of Million Dollar Baby says the ”bond still holds” between them. ”He’s not just another pretty face,” says Freeman, 69, of the former model. ”He’s paid some serious dues. I was looking at him the other day — he had this beard. It’s gray. I said, ‘Djimon, what are you doing?”’ Perhaps he’s just looking for another way to emulate his mentor.
Posted November 24 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!