Anyone familiar with Joan Osborne’s riveting ‘95 breakthrough Relish (beyond its anomalous ”what if God was one of us” pop smash) shouldn’t be surprised that she’s taken her bluesy roots-rock sensibility and driven it through Nashville with Pretty Little Stranger. What is a surprise is how seamlessly her own writing stands up next to gems from Kris Kristofferson and Rodney Crowell. We know Osborne can sing like Joplin, but here she mostly goes for a creamier country-soul sound (with assists from Alison Krauss and Vince Gill), and the result is terrific and timeless.
Pretty Little Stranger Anyone familiar with Joan Osborne's riveting '95 breakthrough Relish (beyond its anomalous ''what if God was one of us'' pop smash) shouldn't...Pretty Little StrangerRock Anyone familiar with Joan Osborne's riveting '95 breakthrough Relish (beyond its anomalous ''what if God was one of us'' pop smash) shouldn't...2006-11-24
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Joan Osborne; Producer (group): Vanguard
Posted November 24 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Ghostbusters' teaser shows first footage, announces trailer date
- See Jennifer Lawrence rock out at Adele's Los Angeles concert
- Ryan Reynolds helps young 'Deadpool' fan battling cancer
- See Leslie Jones describe her perfect man on 'SNL'
- 'Spotlight,' 'Mad Men,' 'The Big Short' win big at WGA Awards
- Box office: 'Deadpool' shatters records with $135 million
- See Ronda Rousey's 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit Issue cover