Anyone familiar with Joan Osborne’s riveting ‘95 breakthrough Relish (beyond its anomalous ”what if God was one of us” pop smash) shouldn’t be surprised that she’s taken her bluesy roots-rock sensibility and driven it through Nashville with Pretty Little Stranger. What is a surprise is how seamlessly her own writing stands up next to gems from Kris Kristofferson and Rodney Crowell. We know Osborne can sing like Joplin, but here she mostly goes for a creamier country-soul sound (with assists from Alison Krauss and Vince Gill), and the result is terrific and timeless.
Pretty Little Stranger Anyone familiar with Joan Osborne's riveting '95 breakthrough Relish (beyond its anomalous ''what if God was one of us'' pop smash) shouldn't...Pretty Little StrangerRock Anyone familiar with Joan Osborne's riveting '95 breakthrough Relish (beyond its anomalous ''what if God was one of us'' pop smash) shouldn't...2006-11-24
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Joan Osborne; Producer (group): Vanguard
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' player Shirin tells all
- 'Empire' is TV's hottest new hit. So how does it stay on top?
- Jay Z on epic Tidal rlaunch: 'We're in this for the right reasons'
- Marilynne Robinson expanding Gilead trilogy: 'People should be prepared to say 'quartet''
- Our perfect 'The Wiz' cast features Broadway stars and Crazy Eyes
- Rolling Stones to tour U.S., reissue 'Sticky Fingers'
- See Martha Stewart, Ron Burgundy and more show up to Justin Bieber roast
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!