Anyone familiar with Joan Osborne’s riveting ‘95 breakthrough Relish (beyond its anomalous ”what if God was one of us” pop smash) shouldn’t be surprised that she’s taken her bluesy roots-rock sensibility and driven it through Nashville with Pretty Little Stranger. What is a surprise is how seamlessly her own writing stands up next to gems from Kris Kristofferson and Rodney Crowell. We know Osborne can sing like Joplin, but here she mostly goes for a creamier country-soul sound (with assists from Alison Krauss and Vince Gill), and the result is terrific and timeless.
Pretty Little Stranger Anyone familiar with Joan Osborne's riveting '95 breakthrough Relish (beyond its anomalous ''what if God was one of us'' pop smash) shouldn't...Pretty Little StrangerRock Anyone familiar with Joan Osborne's riveting '95 breakthrough Relish (beyond its anomalous ''what if God was one of us'' pop smash) shouldn't...2006-11-24
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Joan Osborne; Producer (group): Vanguard
Posted November 24 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney in London to play a Beatles classic: Watch
- Kelly Rutherford gets sole custody of kids
- J.K. Rowling cheers Ireland's gay wed vote
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!