Anyone familiar with Joan Osborne’s riveting ‘95 breakthrough Relish (beyond its anomalous ”what if God was one of us” pop smash) shouldn’t be surprised that she’s taken her bluesy roots-rock sensibility and driven it through Nashville with Pretty Little Stranger. What is a surprise is how seamlessly her own writing stands up next to gems from Kris Kristofferson and Rodney Crowell. We know Osborne can sing like Joplin, but here she mostly goes for a creamier country-soul sound (with assists from Alison Krauss and Vince Gill), and the result is terrific and timeless.
Pretty Little Stranger Anyone familiar with Joan Osborne's riveting '95 breakthrough Relish (beyond its anomalous ''what if God was one of us'' pop smash) shouldn't...Pretty Little StrangerRock Anyone familiar with Joan Osborne's riveting '95 breakthrough Relish (beyond its anomalous ''what if God was one of us'' pop smash) shouldn't...2006-11-24
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Joan Osborne; Producer (group): Vanguard
Posted November 24 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- The Monkees share stories behind their biggest hits
- Michael Bay teases Megatron's return in 'Transformers: The Last Knight'
- Terminally-ill 'Ellen' guest opens up about cancer fight, HBO special
- Zac Efron's jock strap among items available in 'Dirty Grandpa' auction
- Mark Salling cut from 'Gods and Secret' after child porn indictment
- Julia Roberts to receive 'Woman of the Decade' honor from 'Guys Choice'
- Zedd debuts vibrant trailer for 'True Colors' documentary
- See The Voices Behind Your Favorite 'Finding Nemo' Characters
- The Best 'Bachelor' and 'Bachelorette' Jobs
- Disney Classics Making New Magic On Screen
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot