Growing up, Julia Louis-Dreyfus adored Mary Tyler Moore, but in her dreams she wanted to be someone else. ”I watched The Mary Tyler Moore Show all the time and fantasized that I was Rhoda,” says the Emmy-winning star of CBS’ New Adventures of Old Christine. ”I wanted to be Mary’s best friend.” To Louis-Dreyfus, Moore embodied a strong 1970s career woman who wasn’t perfect — far from it. ”Her being able to play humiliation as well as she did was very appealing,” says the actress, 45, no stranger to self-mockery (see: Elaine’s god-awful dancing on Seinfeld) . But Louis-Dreyfus’ love of all things MTM actually began earlier, with The Dick Van Dyke Show. Watching the classic sitcom was like attending a master class in comedic acting: She recalls a favorite episode in which Moore’s Laura Petrie opens an inflatable raft indoors and tries to control its rapid expansion, with hilarious results. ”She was very capable physically and was able to use that even between lines,” says Louis-Dreyfus, crediting Moore’s ”impeccable” timing as ”a language that just got under my skin.” No wonder Louis-Dreyfus teared up a bit as she embraced her idol at EW’s photo shoot (previously, the two had met only briefly at awards shows). ”We fell right into my favorite kind of relationship, which is caustic but loving,” says Moore, 69, who counts herself a fan of Seinfeld and Christine. ”She is to me like Carol Burnett — a real clown. She can do it all.” Rhoda Morgenstern would be green with envy.
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Last Man on Earth': Will Forte on THAT season finale twist
- 'Game of Thrones' actor explains his surprisingly early exit
- 'Suicide Squad': First Look at rogues' gallery in costume
- 'Game of Thrones': Carice van Houten on nudity, Jon Snow
- 'Star Wars': 'Force Awakens' toys in Sept.
- J.K. Rowling sorry for a 'Potter' death
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!