Growing up, Julia Louis-Dreyfus adored Mary Tyler Moore, but in her dreams she wanted to be someone else. ”I watched The Mary Tyler Moore Show all the time and fantasized that I was Rhoda,” says the Emmy-winning star of CBS’ New Adventures of Old Christine. ”I wanted to be Mary’s best friend.” To Louis-Dreyfus, Moore embodied a strong 1970s career woman who wasn’t perfect — far from it. ”Her being able to play humiliation as well as she did was very appealing,” says the actress, 45, no stranger to self-mockery (see: Elaine’s god-awful dancing on Seinfeld) . But Louis-Dreyfus’ love of all things MTM actually began earlier, with The Dick Van Dyke Show. Watching the classic sitcom was like attending a master class in comedic acting: She recalls a favorite episode in which Moore’s Laura Petrie opens an inflatable raft indoors and tries to control its rapid expansion, with hilarious results. ”She was very capable physically and was able to use that even between lines,” says Louis-Dreyfus, crediting Moore’s ”impeccable” timing as ”a language that just got under my skin.” No wonder Louis-Dreyfus teared up a bit as she embraced her idol at EW’s photo shoot (previously, the two had met only briefly at awards shows). ”We fell right into my favorite kind of relationship, which is caustic but loving,” says Moore, 69, who counts herself a fan of Seinfeld and Christine. ”She is to me like Carol Burnett — a real clown. She can do it all.” Rhoda Morgenstern would be green with envy.
Posted November 24 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky dropped his new album at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- George & Amal, Prince Harry, Ansel Elgort & More!