Tony-winning lyricist Betty Comden, half of a famed partnership with the late Adolph Green that contributed to dozens of Broadway and Hollywood musicals, died on Thanksgiving at age 89. A look at Comden’s IMDB page or her New York Times obituary tells the story of a writer who was as talented and versatile as she was prolific. Comden and Green (pictured) achieved prominence writing the book and lyrics for On the Town – and, later, the screenplay for its film adaptation – including “New York, New York,” so amusingly performed by Mark Indelicato in a recent episode of Ugly Betty. And that was just the beginning. Bells Are Ringing, Wonderful Town, Applause, Singin’ in the Rain, the big-screen version of Auntie Mame…each of those classic musicals contained Comden’s stamp. She went on to win seven Tony awards, and scored Oscar nominations for The Band Wagon and It’s Always Fair Weather. If you get a few spare minutes today, the folks at Overwhelmed and Perplexed have posted three tracks from Blossom Dearie Sings Comden and Green, including a particularly lovely rendition of “Hold Me, Hold Me, Hold Me,” while a YouTube search yields Shirley Bassey’s outsize take on “The Party’s Over.” Mournful as that latter tune may be, in Comden’s case, thanks to her vast repertoire of songs, the party carries on.
Posted November 27 2006 — 3:50 PM EST
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing Wild West drama series Untamed
- Ann Rule, true-crime author, dies at 83
- 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Originals' add a bunch of new faces
- 'Lost' actor replaces 'Flash' star as Sandy Cohen in 'O.C.' musical
- Andy Richter responds to 'Conan' lawsuit
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!