A word of warning: You could probably get yourself fired checking out The Torontoist Cover Song Catalogue – and it would almost be worth it. I wasted a good chunk of the morning just grooving to the first five tracks alone, the ones Torontoist lumps under the heading “Better Than the Original.” And while I respectfully dispute that anyone can trump Paula Abdul’s version of “Straight Up,” I’ve got to say Dave Werner’s acoustic version certainly has its own merits (especially when he drops a little “Opposites Attract” at the end). Also not to be missed: Everything But the Girl’s “Downtown Train,” Max Raabe’s “Oops…I Did It Again,” and Esthero’s “Windmills of Your Mind.” But don’t take my word for it, check out these covers for yourself and share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Posted November 28 2006 — 7:15 PM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles