In Harper, one of the seven lesser-known titles in The Paul Newman Collection, a beautiful woman (Pamela Tiffin) tries to bait PI Lew Harper with the accusation ”You probably still think a woman’s place is in the home.” His icy reply? ”Not in my home.” It was the first of two times Newman would tackle the role of Ross Macdonald’s hard-boiled sleuth — 1975’s Drowning Pool is also included here. Newman’s chiseled, mischievous good looks and hilarious coldhearted one-liners make even the mediocre films, like 1972’s Pocket Money costarring Lee Marvin, watchable. But when it comes to his more idiosyncratic, chip-on-the-shoulder roles, such as humble boxer Rocky Graziano in Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956) and a neurotic Billy the Kid in The Left Handed Gun (1958), he’s so commanding, you can’t get enough of the blue-eyed boy even when he’s in black and white. No matter what he’s chasing — a dream, money, trouble, criminals — you want to be right alongside Paul Newman.
The Paul Newman CollectionIn Harper, one of the seven lesser-known titles in The Paul Newman Collection, a beautiful woman (Pamela Tiffin) tries to bait...The Paul Newman CollectionIn Harper, one of the seven lesser-known titles in The Paul Newman Collection, a beautiful woman (Pamela Tiffin) tries to bait...2006-12-07
(Harper: Everett Collection)
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Criminal Minds' finale react: Another BAU member takes their leave
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Julie Plec on finale, Nina Dobrev farewell
- 'Last Man Standing' replaces showrunner
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!