About the most dried-up genre in any medium these days is the road-trip journey, in which one family member suggests the clan venture out to explore some serious Life Lessons. (Witness this year’s biggest indie film, Little Miss Sunshine.) So it’s with great surprise that Julia Cho’s delicate Durango manages to both embrace and subvert its origins with finely wrought skill. A widowed, just-laid-off 56-year-old Korean dad (James Saito) takes a car trip to Colorado with his two dissimilar sons — a 21-year-old slacker/med-school hopeful (James Yaegashi, pictured) and a sexually confused, eager-to-please teen (Jon Norman Schneider); dirty laundry is aired, secrets are revealed. Except in Chay Yew’s quietly observant staging (assisted by Dan Ostling’s impressive, shape-shifting set), the usual hand-wringing drama is replaced with a deeper understanding of how fathers and sons rarely know each other despite living under the same roof, and how sometimes brutal honesty is just as detrimental as a casual lie. The cast could hardly be better, and Saito is a particular standout as the stern, conflicted patriarch. For a 90-minute play, it’s possible there are a few disclosures too many, but no scene rings false in the slightest. (Tickets: 212-967-7555)
Posted December 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Chris Rock announces first stand-up tour in 9 years
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' trailer: Humans and Transformers face off
- George R.R. Martin on 'Winds of Winter': 'Things are getting worse'
- 'Green Hornet' star Van Williams dies at 82
- 'Baywatch' is hitting the beach on Memorial Day weekend
- Beyoncé was already a star at age 10, unearthed footage proves
- See Madonna twerk to 'Bitch I'm Madonna' on Carpool Karaoke
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday