I remember flipping out with excitement a while back when I read a story that E! was considering picking up a series called Illeanarama, a sort of The Comeback-meets-So NoTORIous mockumentary about the magnificent Illeana Douglas trading in her film career to work in a California supermarket. Let’s face it, the woman was so twistedly funny in the short-lived Fox sitcom Action and her all-too-brief guest appearances on Six Feet Under, she really deserves her own small-screen vehicle – pronto! But after viewing a five-minute clip of Illeanarama at YouTube (thanks to TV Tattle for the link!), I’ve got to say it looks like Douglas is lucky this project never took flight. You’d think anything with Douglas, a self-depreciating Justine Bateman, and the wonderfully loopy Jane Lynch would be chock full o’ laughs, but you would be wrong. Maybe they should’ve cut back on the tired ethnic stereotypes – the Indian grocer! the fiery Latina checkout girl! – and let Lynch mispronounce “Eee-lie-on-ya” a few more times. Which isn’t to say I don’t want to see, say, Illeanamania! on NBC’s fall 2007 lineup. Especially if they pair her with Starting Over’s Iyanla Vanzant. (Oh, how I miss the Starting Over house. Don’t laugh.)
Posted December 11 2006 — 5:02 PM EST
- Read an exclusive excerpt from Estelle Laure's 'This Raging Light'
- 'Silicon Valley' star T.J. Miller on his 'absurd' HBO pilot 'The Gorburger Show'
- Casting Net: Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern in negotiations for 'Wilson'
- Natalie Portman relives 'dark moments' at Harvard in commencement speech
- Thom Yorke made an 18-day-long soundtrack, still not new Radiohead music
- 'Serial' set for two more seasons
- Jenelle Evans of 'Teen Mom 2': Arrest warrant