The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar – I say “helpfully” because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, “In Rosa Vernat Lilium” from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the “Blame Canada”/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat’s “O Kazakhstan.” Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars (“Lose Yourself,” “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp”), look for the last slot to go to “PJ & Rooster” from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Posted December 12 2006 — 4:35 PM EST
- Bill Cosby ordered to stand trial in 2004 sexual assault case
- Raven-Symoné releases first new music in 8 years
- 'Arrow': Stephen Amell teases ultimate showdown with Darhk in finale
- 'Harry Potter' parody video mashes up Beyoncé, Hermione Granger
- 'The Color Purple''s Cynthia Erivo performs 'I'm Here' on 'Late Show'
- Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones announces memoir
- Twitter campaign pushes for Captain America to get a boyfriend