The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar – I say “helpfully” because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, “In Rosa Vernat Lilium” from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the “Blame Canada”/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat’s “O Kazakhstan.” Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars (“Lose Yourself,” “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp”), look for the last slot to go to “PJ & Rooster” from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Posted January 18 2015 — 7:47 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More