The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar – I say “helpfully” because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, “In Rosa Vernat Lilium” from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the “Blame Canada”/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat’s “O Kazakhstan.” Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars (“Lose Yourself,” “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp”), look for the last slot to go to “PJ & Rooster” from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Posted December 12 2006 — 4:35 PM EST
- Watch Kelly Clarkson adorably forget the lyrics to her songs
- Katy Perry reveals which line of her DNC speech Orlando Bloom wrote
- Chandra Levy miniseries in works at TNT
- Nick Jonas, Demi Lovato send fans on scavenger hunt for concert tickets
- 'Pokémon Go' nests are reportedly spawning different Pokémon
- Disney changes 'Avengers: Infinity War Part 1' title
- Constance Wu says Matt Damon's 'Great Wall' perpetuates 'racist myth'