The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar – I say “helpfully” because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, “In Rosa Vernat Lilium” from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the “Blame Canada”/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat’s “O Kazakhstan.” Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars (“Lose Yourself,” “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp”), look for the last slot to go to “PJ & Rooster” from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Posted January 18 2015 — 7:47 AM EST
- Play 'Pac-Man' around the world in Google Maps
- Showtime renews 'House of Lies' for fifth season
- Linda Lavin to return to Broadway in 'Our Mother's Brief Affair'
- Fox's 'Weird Loners' aren't quite weird or lonely enough
- 'Arrow'-'Flash' spinoff's role for Caity Lotz? Let's theorize...
- Beastie Boys' Adam Horovitz gives relationship advice in 'Ask a Grown Man'
- 'Ellen,' 'GH' lead Daytime Emmy noms
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!