The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar – I say “helpfully” because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, “In Rosa Vernat Lilium” from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the “Blame Canada”/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat’s “O Kazakhstan.” Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars (“Lose Yourself,” “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp”), look for the last slot to go to “PJ & Rooster” from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Posted December 12 2006 — 4:35 PM EST
- Aaron Tveit, Daniel Sunjata sum up 'Graceland' in 30 seconds
- 'Hannibal' boss previews series finale, considers cannibalism
- 'Suicide Squad' wrap photo is like a 'Where's Waldo?'
- Lionsgate planning movie based on 'Borderlands' video game
- What it was like inside Lady Gaga's blood-red 'American Horror Story' pool party
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Blacklist,' 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'The Flash' and more
- How well do you know The Weeknd's lyrics?
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!