The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar – I say “helpfully” because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, “In Rosa Vernat Lilium” from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the “Blame Canada”/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat’s “O Kazakhstan.” Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars (“Lose Yourself,” “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp”), look for the last slot to go to “PJ & Rooster” from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Posted December 12 2006 — 4:35 PM EST
- See Sylvester Stallone become Rocky in this ultimate training montage
- See Po uncover the Secret Panda Village in new 'Kung Fu Panda 3' clip
- Setsuko Hara, Japanese screen legend, dies at 95
- Bryan Cranston moved to tears while discussing pivotal 'Breaking Bad' scene
- See photos from 'Arrow'-'The Flash' crossover with 'Legends of Tomorrow'
- Jon Favreau's 'Chef' is going Bollywood
- Eagles of Death Metal discuss Paris attacks in moving interview
- Taraji P. Henson's Biggest Moments in 2015
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year