The Hollywood Reporter helpfully offers this list of songs eligible this year for the Best Original Song Oscar – I say “helpfully” because otherwise I’d have hardly been able to recall a single tune from this largely unmemorable set of tunes. (Well, OK, “In Rosa Vernat Lilium” from The Nativity Story was kind of a toe-tapper.) Not that you need to have actually heard the songs in order to lay odds on the nominees in this category. Popular animated movies and lavish musicals always get a spot, so save room for the tunes from Cars and Happy Feet and the big new ballad from Dreamgirls. Also look for one actually funny song (the “Blame Canada”/Mighty Wind slot), so that’ll be Borat’s “O Kazakhstan.” Finally, given that hip-hop songs have finally started to win Oscars (“Lose Yourself,” “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp”), look for the last slot to go to “PJ & Rooster” from Idlewild. Or am I being too cynical? Your prognostications, please.
Posted December 12 2006 — 4:35 PM EST
- 'Breaking Bad' actor calls for more people with disabilities in Hollywood
- WATCH: Exclusive clip from 'Light Between Oceans'
- Stars put Jimmy Fallon to shame in dramatic game of Musical Beers
- The Must List: Sunday's VMAs, new Frank Ocean, and more
- Dave Grohl and Prophets of Rage cover the MC5's 'Kick Out the Jams'
- Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, 'Seinfeld' cast 'bonked' by Jimmy Fallon
- Seth Meyers revises offer for Donald Trump show 'Chicago President'
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...