In the history of art, the Impessionists are perhaps the most widely known band of rogue painters. In 2006, it’s hard to believe that the oily pigments slapped onto canvas with immediate and thrilling brushstrokes by the likes of Claude Monet, Paul Cezanne, and Marie Cassatt were derided by late 19th-century viewers who flocked to the Paris Salon’s annual blockbuster exhibition. Equally stunning is the fact that none of this crew made any money. Sue Roe does offer some oddly irrelevant facts about her subjects in The Private Lives of the Impressionists (Monet had parquet floors in one of his flats, Edouard Manet’s brother once stopped for hot cocoa for 11 minutes at a train station), but her disjointed cobbling together of immense research leaves disappointingly little impression about the actual inner lives of these beloved artists or what motivated them to live a life of passionate struggle.
The Private Lives of the ImpressionistsIn the history of art, the Impessionists are perhaps the most widely known band of rogue painters. In 2006, it's hard to believe that the oily pigments...The Private Lives of the ImpressionistsHistory, Art/Fine Art, NonfictionIn the history of art, the Impessionists are perhaps the most widely known band of rogue painters. In 2006, it's hard to believe that the oily pigments...2006-12-13HarperCollins
Genre: History, Art/Fine Art, Nonfiction; Release Date Wide: 10/30/2002; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted December 13 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!