In the history of art, the Impessionists are perhaps the most widely known band of rogue painters. In 2006, it’s hard to believe that the oily pigments slapped onto canvas with immediate and thrilling brushstrokes by the likes of Claude Monet, Paul Cezanne, and Marie Cassatt were derided by late 19th-century viewers who flocked to the Paris Salon’s annual blockbuster exhibition. Equally stunning is the fact that none of this crew made any money. Sue Roe does offer some oddly irrelevant facts about her subjects in The Private Lives of the Impressionists (Monet had parquet floors in one of his flats, Edouard Manet’s brother once stopped for hot cocoa for 11 minutes at a train station), but her disjointed cobbling together of immense research leaves disappointingly little impression about the actual inner lives of these beloved artists or what motivated them to live a life of passionate struggle.
The Private Lives of the ImpressionistsIn the history of art, the Impessionists are perhaps the most widely known band of rogue painters. In 2006, it's hard to believe that the oily pigments...The Private Lives of the ImpressionistsHistory, Art/Fine Art, NonfictionIn the history of art, the Impessionists are perhaps the most widely known band of rogue painters. In 2006, it's hard to believe that the oily pigments...2006-12-13HarperCollins
Genre: History, Art/Fine Art, Nonfiction; Release Date Wide: 10/30/2002; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted December 13 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!