In the history of art, the Impessionists are perhaps the most widely known band of rogue painters. In 2006, it’s hard to believe that the oily pigments slapped onto canvas with immediate and thrilling brushstrokes by the likes of Claude Monet, Paul Cezanne, and Marie Cassatt were derided by late 19th-century viewers who flocked to the Paris Salon’s annual blockbuster exhibition. Equally stunning is the fact that none of this crew made any money. Sue Roe does offer some oddly irrelevant facts about her subjects in The Private Lives of the Impressionists (Monet had parquet floors in one of his flats, Edouard Manet’s brother once stopped for hot cocoa for 11 minutes at a train station), but her disjointed cobbling together of immense research leaves disappointingly little impression about the actual inner lives of these beloved artists or what motivated them to live a life of passionate struggle.
The Private Lives of the ImpressionistsIn the history of art, the Impessionists are perhaps the most widely known band of rogue painters. In 2006, it's hard to believe that the oily pigments...The Private Lives of the ImpressionistsHistory, Art/Fine Art, NonfictionIn the history of art, the Impessionists are perhaps the most widely known band of rogue painters. In 2006, it's hard to believe that the oily pigments...2006-12-13HarperCollins
Genre: History, Art/Fine Art, Nonfiction; Release Date Wide: 10/30/2002; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted December 13 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Survivor: Second Chance' player Stephen Fishbach says 'it haunts me every day, the fact I didn't win'
- ABC Family and Fox score top marks for inclusion of LGBT characters
- Prince announces three-day Labor Day party ahead of album release
- ABC Family's 13 Nights of Halloween: Who's joining Harry Potter and Batman?
- Christian Slater weighs in on 'Mr. Robot' twist and season finale
- 'Mr. Robot' finale postmortem: Creator Sam Esmail answers burning questions
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Alessandra Ambrósio, The Kardashians, Malin Akerman & More!