Can a single scene save a movie? An hour and 20 minutes into The Secret Life of Words, Sarah Polley delivers a halting, evocative 10-minute monologue that finally unlocks the mystery behind her guarded character, a deaf, indeterminately accented nurse caring for a burn victim (Tim Robbins) on a deep-sea oil rig. Polley is mesmerizing as she raises the movie’s stakes, but it comes too late. The sequence is the only highlight of an opaque film that waits too long to tell us why we should care.
The Secret Life of WordsCan a single scene save a movie? An hour and 20 minutes into The Secret Life of Words, Sarah Polley delivers a halting, evocative 10...The Secret Life of WordsDramaIsabel CoixetPT115MUnratedCan a single scene save a movie? An hour and 20 minutes into The Secret Life of Words, Sarah Polley delivers a halting, evocative 10...2006-12-13Javier CamaraStrand Releasing
Genre: Drama; Starring: Sarah Polley, Tim Robbins, Javier Camara; Director: Isabel Coixet; Author: Isabel Coixet; Runtime (in minutes): 115; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted December 13 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jeff Nichols' 'Midnight Special' has been pushed to 2016
- Authors tweet hilarious advice on what NOT to say to a writer
- Jaden Smith roams Italy in 'Scarface' video
- 'Mythbusters' to revisit famous 'Jaws' stunt
- New 'Bourne' film recruits Tommy Lee Jones
- Bryan Cranston and Helen Mirren tangle in new photo from 'Trumbo'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!