The name Bernardo Bertolucci may bring to mind the hot buttered love of Last Tango in Paris. But that wasn’t the Italian director’s most rebellious creation. Now on DVD in its full five hours, 1900 follows two childhood buddies. Alfredo, played by an unsettlingly timid Robert De Niro (Bertolucci cast him because he was ”a kind of delicate figure”), is the heir of a wealthy landowner; Olmo (Gérard Depardieu) is a proletarian who rebels against the gentry. The frank sexuality still startles, along with some horrifying violence, but 1900’s edge is political. Bertolucci says in a making-of that he intended to create ”a bridge” between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. In fact, the film was ”hardly shown” in either, he says, because there were ”too many red flags.” Literally. Bertolucci chopped an hour for the U.S. theatrical release. But if the virtuosic filmmaking and usual saga fare — class struggle, fatherless sons, weddings, war, and funerals — aren’t enough to hold your attention, Donald Sutherland as an evil fascist is.
Genre: Drama, Erotic, Foreign Language; Starring: Robert De Niro, Gerard Depardieu, Ariane Schluter, Ad van Kempen, Donald Sutherland; Director: Bernardo Bertolucci, Theo van Gogh; Author: Bernardo Bertolucci; Runtime (in minutes): 315; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted December 15 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hugh Dancy and Gillian Anderson get philosophical in exclusive 'Hannibal' finale clip
- Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander stun in new 'Danish Girl' poster
- Get to know The Weeknd through his 9 best deep cuts
- Jimmy Kimmel censors Donald Trump on 'Unnecessary Censorship'
- Ranking Shania Twain's 37 singles in honor of her 50th birthday
- 'It Follows' director responds to Tarantino's criticism
- Kelly Clarkson covers Dolly Parton's 'Jolene'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!