The name Bernardo Bertolucci may bring to mind the hot buttered love of Last Tango in Paris. But that wasn’t the Italian director’s most rebellious creation. Now on DVD in its full five hours, 1900 follows two childhood buddies. Alfredo, played by an unsettlingly timid Robert De Niro (Bertolucci cast him because he was ”a kind of delicate figure”), is the heir of a wealthy landowner; Olmo (Gérard Depardieu) is a proletarian who rebels against the gentry. The frank sexuality still startles, along with some horrifying violence, but 1900’s edge is political. Bertolucci says in a making-of that he intended to create ”a bridge” between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. In fact, the film was ”hardly shown” in either, he says, because there were ”too many red flags.” Literally. Bertolucci chopped an hour for the U.S. theatrical release. But if the virtuosic filmmaking and usual saga fare — class struggle, fatherless sons, weddings, war, and funerals — aren’t enough to hold your attention, Donald Sutherland as an evil fascist is.
Genre: Drama, Erotic, Foreign Language; Starring: Robert De Niro, Gerard Depardieu, Ariane Schluter, Ad van Kempen, Donald Sutherland; Director: Bernardo Bertolucci, Theo van Gogh; Author: Bernardo Bertolucci; Runtime (in minutes): 315; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted December 15 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!