Dreamgirls, the Broadway musical-turned-film about a ’60s girl group — okay, the Supremes — has Aretha-piped, plus-size Effie (Jennifer Hudson) demoted in favor of crossover babe Deena (Beyoncé). And sure enough, Beyoncé is pop perfection on the title track. Eddie Murphy also impresses when channeling James Brown on several other tunes. But the album really comes alive on Hudson’s tracks, and ultimately, this is her moment. When she belts showstopper ”And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going,” it’s the rallying cry of a new star.
Dreamgirls Dreamgirls, the Broadway musical-turned-film about a '60s girl group — okay, the Supremes — has Aretha-piped, plus-size...DreamgirlsSoundtracks Dreamgirls, the Broadway musical-turned-film about a '60s girl group — okay, the Supremes — has Aretha-piped, plus-size...2006-12-15
Genre: Soundtracks; Lead Performer: Various Artists; Status: In Season
Posted December 15 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Leonard Nimoy, veteran actor best known as Mr. Spock on 'Star Trek,' dies at 83
- Gary Glitter gets 16 years of jail time
- Carly Rae Jepsen debuts 'I Really Like You'--with Tom Hanks?!
- 'How to Get Away With Murder' finale strong -- even without 'Scandal'
- Neill Blomkamp has 'Elysium' regrets
- 'Justified': Erica Tazel talks Rachel's past
- Lee Daniels on Mo'Nique's 'blackballed' essay
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!