Dreamgirls, the Broadway musical-turned-film about a ’60s girl group — okay, the Supremes — has Aretha-piped, plus-size Effie (Jennifer Hudson) demoted in favor of crossover babe Deena (Beyoncé). And sure enough, Beyoncé is pop perfection on the title track. Eddie Murphy also impresses when channeling James Brown on several other tunes. But the album really comes alive on Hudson’s tracks, and ultimately, this is her moment. When she belts showstopper ”And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going,” it’s the rallying cry of a new star.
Dreamgirls Dreamgirls, the Broadway musical-turned-film about a '60s girl group — okay, the Supremes — has Aretha-piped, plus-size...DreamgirlsSoundtracks Dreamgirls, the Broadway musical-turned-film about a '60s girl group — okay, the Supremes — has Aretha-piped, plus-size...2006-12-15
Genre: Soundtracks; Lead Performer: Various Artists
Posted December 15 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Valerie Harper gives update after health scare
- See Bill Nye read mean tweets about himself
- 'Days of Our Lives' exclusive: 50th anniversary to feature a killer twist
- Cara Delevingne laughs off that awkward 'Paper Towns' interview on Instagram
- Bruce Springsteen was the surprise guest at U2's latest concert
- What are the critics saying about 'Rogue Nation'?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!