As Lucy, who likes her Coors Light and her men but slinks away after drunken one-night stands as if she were a man, Ashley Judd (pictured) gives a performance in Come Early Morning that?s a full-on study of pride and pleasure built around a core of distress. That said, the real revelation of this touching and fine-grained character study, set in small-town Arkansas, is the splendid job that Joey Lauren Adams did writing and directing it. The baby-voiced costar of Chasing Amy proves an effortless filmmaker, turning Lucy?s journey into the awakening of a soul.
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Jeffrey Donovan, Ashley Judd, Diane Ladd, Tim Blake Nelson, Laura Prepon; Director: Joey Lauren Adams; Author: Joey Lauren Adams; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Roadside Attractions
Posted December 27 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!