As Lucy, who likes her Coors Light and her men but slinks away after drunken one-night stands as if she were a man, Ashley Judd (pictured) gives a performance in Come Early Morning that?s a full-on study of pride and pleasure built around a core of distress. That said, the real revelation of this touching and fine-grained character study, set in small-town Arkansas, is the splendid job that Joey Lauren Adams did writing and directing it. The baby-voiced costar of Chasing Amy proves an effortless filmmaker, turning Lucy?s journey into the awakening of a soul.
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Jeffrey Donovan, Ashley Judd, Diane Ladd, Tim Blake Nelson, Laura Prepon; Director: Joey Lauren Adams; Author: Joey Lauren Adams; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Roadside Attractions
Posted December 27 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles