Few recent releases were as acclaimed — and debated — as this California-based artist’s harp-strewn kook-folk debut, The Milk-Eyed Mender (2004). On Ys, she remains an acquired taste, but co-producer (and legendary Brian Wilson collaborator) Van Dyke Parks and a gorgeous full orchestra have an ameliorating effect on the too-precious warble that either bewitches or repels. There is still something unsettlingly Renaissance fair-meets-Wind in the Willows about her music, yet something lovely lives there as well.
Ys Few recent releases were as acclaimed — and debated — as this California-based artist's harp-strewn kook-folk debut, The Milk-Eyed ...YsIndie Rock, Folk Few recent releases were as acclaimed — and debated — as this California-based artist's harp-strewn kook-folk debut, The Milk-Eyed ...2006-12-27
Genre: Indie Rock, Folk; Lead Performer: Joanna Newsom; Producer (group): Drag City
Posted December 27 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!