PopWatchers, once again, I’m feeling conflicted. On one hand, I’ve already marked my calendar for the Jan. 16 installment of Law & Order: SVU that’ll feature two rising big-screen stars, Flags of Our Fathers’ Adam Beach (at right, who EW’s Dave Karger is calling a safe bet for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination) and The Namesake’s Kal Penn (at left, who I found oddly compelling while barely uttering a word in Superman Returns). I mean, seriously, the writing on this episode has to be a pretty sparkling if it attracted a pair of actors who’ve most likely got their pick of big-screen roles. (For the record, Beach will play a Brooklyn SVU detective who pairs up with Ice-T’s Finn, and Penn will play a suspect in a college rape case.)On the other hand, I’m always a little ambivalent when network crime procedurals cast big-name thespians in guest spots. Think about it: Penn’s not going to sign on for a 30-second scene as a bystander who describes the perp’s parka, right? The minute his character gets introduced, you pretty much know he’s either the guilty party, or at the very least, intimately connected with the crime or criminal. In that sense, it negates the mystery and suspense that might’ve existed if some unknown Joe Thespian played the role.I dunno. Maybe I’m overthinking things. These days, the Sleepytime Fairies are usually circling my head by 10:45 pm. If not them, then it’s the Are My Credit Card Bills Due Today? Gremlins. In other words, am I really looking for Law & Order: SVU to blow my mind? And what’s your take on A-listers invading the L&O/CSI universe?addCredit(“Kal Penn: Kevin Winter/Getty Images; Adam Beach: Michael Germana/Everett Collection”)
Posted December 29 2006 — 3:34 PM EST
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!