Kellie Pickler’s bland Small Town Girl conjures no superlatives. In fact, it’s awfully hard to take the project seriously because of the (presumably) crass commercial motives behind it: Blond, twangy American Idol winner Carrie Underwood sold 4 million albums, so blond, twangy Idol contestant Pickler should do the same. But while Underwood’s voice is rich, round, and passionate, Pickler’s is a wisp. The songs do nothing to advance her image: The single ”Red High Heels” (”I’m about to show you just how missin’ me feels — in my red high heels”) is meant to evoke Shania Twain. It barely summons Carrie Bradshaw. She even references her Idol calamari flub. Pickler’s not without talent — she proved herself such a lively and even astute presence on The View this summer. Which, come to think of it, does conjure a superlative: She’d be the best singer on that show.
Small Town GirlKellie Pickler's bland Small Town Girl conjures no superlatives. In fact, it's awfully hard to take the project seriously because of the ...Small Town GirlCountryKellie Pickler's bland Small Town Girl conjures no superlatives. In fact, it's awfully hard to take the project seriously because of the ...2006-12-29
(Kellie Pickler: Robert Ascroft)
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Kellie Pickler; Producer (group): BNA
Posted December 29 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!