Days of Glory, Rachid Bouchareb’s great, important drama about North African soldiers fighting for France in World War II, has the contours of a traditional 1940s war pic, focused on the lives of individual soldiers in and out of battle. But the story Bouchareb tells is something no classic has tackled before — that of patriots fighting for a homeland that didn’t treat them with égalité. (The picture has shamed the French government into granting pension increases.) The ensemble cast shared the best-actor award at the 2006 Cannes film festival — and rightly so.
(Days of Glory: Roger Arpajou)
Genre: Drama, War; Starring: Jamel Debbouze, Samy Naceri; Director: Rachid Bouchareb; Author: Rachid Bouchareb, Olivier Lorelle; Release Date Limited: 02/16/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted December 31 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scandal' stars are back to work on season 6
- Eva Longoria dings Donald Trump at DNC: 'My father is not a rapist'
- 'Bachelorette': Wells gives 'spirited' episode recap on Snapchat
- Michelle Obama hits back at Donald Trump in powerful DNC speech
- Shannen Doherty shares breast cancer update after shaving head
- Paul Simon performs 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' at DNC
- Sarah Silverman to Bernie Sanders holdouts: 'You're being ridiculous'
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels