Days of Glory, Rachid Bouchareb’s great, important drama about North African soldiers fighting for France in World War II, has the contours of a traditional 1940s war pic, focused on the lives of individual soldiers in and out of battle. But the story Bouchareb tells is something no classic has tackled before — that of patriots fighting for a homeland that didn’t treat them with égalité. (The picture has shamed the French government into granting pension increases.) The ensemble cast shared the best-actor award at the 2006 Cannes film festival — and rightly so.
(Days of Glory: Roger Arpajou)
Genre: Drama, War; Starring: Jamel Debbouze, Samy Naceri; Director: Rachid Bouchareb; Author: Rachid Bouchareb, Olivier Lorelle; Release Date Limited: 02/16/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted December 31 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!