It is impossible to sit through Eragon and not think incessantly of better movies like Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, and that great boy-and-his-firebreathing-lizard epic, Pete?s Dragon. This is the fantasy tale of a 17-year-old named Eragon (Edward Speleers, pictured), who one day finds a big blue egg in the forest. Soon enough he is the proud papa of a baby dragon, which, after just one first flight, efficiently morphs into a giant blue dragon named Saphira, voiced with a porny-ish purr by Rachel Weisz. Many other well-known actors actually deliver the movie’s silly dialogue in person, including John Malkovich as the kingdom’s evil ruler (”As long as I am king, disloyalty shall be punishable by death!”), Robert Carlyle as his minion (”Taste the blood of your dragon!”), and Jeremy Irons as the boy?s wise Qui-Gon Jinn (”Before you cast a spell, you must learn the ancient language of the elves”). Eragon?s mission is to become ”a dragon rider,” a breed of endangered warrior that rides dragons, and the scenes of the kid sailing across the film?s green landscapes on the back of his CGI sidekick, battling nasties or just enjoying the view, are really the only tolerable moments. Though the movie, which was adapted from a book written by Christopher Paolini when he was a teenager, aims high by ripping off the classics (even down to Eragon?s murdered uncle), what it most recalls are the cheesy lost sword-and-sorcery epics from the ’80s, awful movies in the vein of Yor: The Hunter From the Future and The Blade Master. So give Eragon a few years: By then, it might be delightfully bad.
Genre: Action/Adventure, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Edward Speleers, Robert Carlyle, Sienna Guillory, Djimon Hounsou, Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich; Director: Stefen Fangmeier; Author: Lawrence Konner, Mark Rosenthal, Jesse Wigutow; Release Date Wide: 12/15/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted December 31 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Matthew Broderick debuts his very own Donald Trump impression
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen make for ultimate Charades team
- Conan O'Brien used 'Hamilton' to help explain Trump victory to upset kids
- Veteran character actress Alice Drummond dies at 88
- Canadian police apologize to Nickelback for drunk driving joke
- 'Aquaman' movie lands fall 2018 release date
- Lauren Graham says she may not watch the 'Gilmore Girls' revival
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big