The nutcase in Black Christmas eats eyeballs. He also chomps on snow-angel cookies made out of the flesh off his dead mom’s back. Yet Christmas is not an endurance-test torturama like Saw and its offspring. A remake of one of the first slasher movies ever, it’s old-school stupid instead — a return to horror roots that plays like ineptly filmed nostalgia, complete with hot sorority girls stuck inside a snowed-in house, a gratuitous shower scene, projectile but still restrained gore, and (here’s what really kills it) twice as many accidental laughs as scares.
(Black Christmas: Shane Harvey)
Genre: Horror, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Katie Cassidy, Lacey Chabert, Oliver Hudson, Michelle Trachtenberg, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Lacey Chabert; Director: Glen Morgan; Author: Glen Morgan; Release Date Wide: 12/25/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Dimension Films
Posted January 3 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Ash vs Evil Dead': Sam Raimi on why he likes to torment Bruce Campbell
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay -- Part 2': Liam Hemsworth in war paint for new Gale poster
- Ed Sullivan Theater gets temporary marquee in preparation for Stephen Colbert
- Alan Taylor says there are answers to 'Terminator Genisys' questions -- they're just not in the movie
- Miguel disses Frank Ocean... again
- Jack White's Dead Weather returns with new album
- Henry Cavill: ‘Batman v Superman' an 'expansion' of 'Man of Steel' world
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!