On the surface, season 3 American Idol winner Fantasia has only one thing on her mind in her second effort: boys! It’s a theme that permeates Fantasia, whether she’s advocating that her lover receive a bedroom Oscar in ”I Nominate U,” firing a boyfriend without severance in ”Two Weeks Notice,” or extolling the virtues of her reproductively blessed curves in ”Baby Makin Hips.” The album’s subtle appeal isn’t evident on the first listen — Fantasia doesn’t break into the gritty vocal gymnastics that defined her run on Idol. (It’s curious that collaborators like Missy Elliott and Dre & Vidal penned songs with such narrow ranges.) But of all the new Idol-connected entries (see Taylor Hicks, Kellie Pickler’s Small Town Girl, and Daughtry), this one comes closest to showcasing an artist who has something original to contribute to the industry. Many of the midtempo ballads (like ”When I See U” and ”Only One U”) are poppy blasts, and ”Hood Boy,” with its opening salvo of horns and a vocal assist from Big Boi, is one of the best R&B numbers of the year.
(Fantasia: Randall Slavin)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Fantasia Barrino; Producer (group): J Records; Status: In Season
Posted January 4 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Empire': Behind the scenes at EW's photo shoot
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!