On Taylor Hicks, season 5’s American Idol relies on the same up-tempo pap (sorry, pop) that made him the most polarizing winner ever. Now that he’s off the Idol soundstage, his limited vocal range has never been more evident. Every time he reaches for his head voice, he sounds as if he needs to blow his nose. And though he’s surrounded by seasoned veterans like Rob Thomas (who penned the album’s best song, ”Dream Myself Awake”) and Bryan Adams, he’s decided to embrace Paula Abdul’s mantra: ”Make It Your Own.” Unfortunately, that means stripping away the joygasm of horns from Marvin Gaye’s ”Wherever I Lay My Hat” and replacing them with a pulsing beat that resembles Carly Simon’s ”Let the River Run.”
Taylor HicksOn Taylor Hicks, season 5's American Idol relies on the same up-tempo pap (sorry, pop) that made him the most polarizing winner ever. Now...Taylor HicksPopOn Taylor Hicks, season 5's American Idol relies on the same up-tempo pap (sorry, pop) that made him the most polarizing winner ever. Now...2007-01-04
(Taylor Hicks: Jim Wright/Montage)
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Taylor Hicks; Producer (group): RCA
Posted January 4 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Someone turns Kanye West best quotes into a free book
- Jessica Chastain and Bryce Dallas Howard hung out together
- 'Ghostbusters' adds Andy Garcia and Michael K. Williams to the cast
- Zack Snyder on the Superman villain that almost was
- How a real-life horror story inspired new graphic novel 'The Divine'
- First look at Batgirl in 'Batman: Arkham Knight's' 'A Matter of Family'
- What to expect (and what we hope) will be at this year's San Diego Comic-Con
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!