On Taylor Hicks, season 5’s American Idol relies on the same up-tempo pap (sorry, pop) that made him the most polarizing winner ever. Now that he’s off the Idol soundstage, his limited vocal range has never been more evident. Every time he reaches for his head voice, he sounds as if he needs to blow his nose. And though he’s surrounded by seasoned veterans like Rob Thomas (who penned the album’s best song, ”Dream Myself Awake”) and Bryan Adams, he’s decided to embrace Paula Abdul’s mantra: ”Make It Your Own.” Unfortunately, that means stripping away the joygasm of horns from Marvin Gaye’s ”Wherever I Lay My Hat” and replacing them with a pulsing beat that resembles Carly Simon’s ”Let the River Run.”
Taylor HicksOn Taylor Hicks, season 5's American Idol relies on the same up-tempo pap (sorry, pop) that made him the most polarizing winner ever. Now...Taylor HicksPopOn Taylor Hicks, season 5's American Idol relies on the same up-tempo pap (sorry, pop) that made him the most polarizing winner ever. Now...2007-01-04
(Taylor Hicks: Jim Wright/Montage)
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Taylor Hicks; Producer (group): RCA
Posted January 4 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- Dean Jones, The Love Bug and That Darn Cat actor, dies at 84
- 'Wildest Dreams' director responds to allegations of colonialism in Taylor Swift video
- How the new Oscar producers plan to change the show (and make it shorter)
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!