All the King’s Men, Steven Zaillian’s maligned remake of the 1949 Oscar-winning Best Picture is a classic shoulda-been — an adaptation of a beloved American novel featuring a dynamite cast. But most people couldn’t get past Sean Penn’s boldly bewildering portrayal of Louisiana demagogue Willie Stark. Often incomprehensible (thank goodness for DVD subtitles!) and punctuating his pronouncements with spastic gesticulations, Penn is so oddly distracting that it throws the entire film off-kilter. Which is too bad, because not only is the film a visual tour de force, but the Shakespearean tragedy stalking Jude Law’s impotent lackey packs an emotional wallop. EXTRAS One would hope to find some of the answers to the plot’s blind spots (what drives Kate Winslet’s character?) on the cutting room floor — the film was famously delayed 10 months and re-edited. But this “special edition” contains only three deleted scenes and an extended finale. There’s no commentary either, but featurettes examine Pulitzer-winning author Robert Penn Warren and Depression-era martyr, Huey Long, the inspiration of the story. ”Time brings all things to light,” insists Penn’s Stark. While this particular DVD doesn’t reveal the great film that almost was, perhaps time will redeem it. B
(All the King's Men: Kerry Hayes)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Jude Law, Sean Penn, Patricia Clarkson, Mark Ruffalo, Kate Winslet; Director: Steve Zaillian; Author: Steve Zaillian; Release Date Wide: 09/22/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 120; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!