Near the end of Lately, Karen Pritchard’s plush book of stories, we meet a woman who once won prizes for both drawing and singing. She couldn’t decide which to pursue and so became neither artist nor musician. This is how life turns out for Pritchard’s souls of a certain vintage (they’ve been influenced by both the Kennedy assassinations and Bob Dylan), who’ve limped through life so long they can’t walk upright. Her stories are like marzipan: dense with flavor and beautifully wrought. While her gift for turning the perfect poetic phrase occasionally overpowers the narrative, Lately demands to be savored.
Lately Near the end of Lately, Karen Pritchard's plush book of stories, we meet a woman who once won prizes for both drawing and singing. She...LatelyFictionSara Pritchard Near the end of Lately, Karen Pritchard's plush book of stories, we meet a woman who once won prizes for both drawing and singing. She...2007-01-09Houghton Mifflin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Sara Pritchard; Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Posted January 9 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Supergirl' leaked to piracy sites
- Read your way through New Orleans
- The 50 Most Watched Broadcast Shows of 2014-15
- Extreme Fan Club with Chris Pratt -- exclusive video
- EW's definitive ranking of the top 10 'Pac-Man' ghosts
- Funeral for slain New York rapper will be held next week
- What to binge-watch: Memorial Day marathon edition
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!