Near the end of Lately, Karen Pritchard’s plush book of stories, we meet a woman who once won prizes for both drawing and singing. She couldn’t decide which to pursue and so became neither artist nor musician. This is how life turns out for Pritchard’s souls of a certain vintage (they’ve been influenced by both the Kennedy assassinations and Bob Dylan), who’ve limped through life so long they can’t walk upright. Her stories are like marzipan: dense with flavor and beautifully wrought. While her gift for turning the perfect poetic phrase occasionally overpowers the narrative, Lately demands to be savored.
Lately Near the end of Lately, Karen Pritchard's plush book of stories, we meet a woman who once won prizes for both drawing and singing. She...LatelyFictionSara Pritchard Near the end of Lately, Karen Pritchard's plush book of stories, we meet a woman who once won prizes for both drawing and singing. She...2007-01-09Houghton Mifflin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Sara Pritchard; Status: In Season; Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Posted January 9 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'House of Cards' premiere react: Blood on the Tracks
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!