The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning is almost laughably frightening in its inability to ignite fear in even the most apprehensive viewer. It’s the ’60s, and when the local slaughterhouse is shut down, a cannibalistic family seeks a means to survive: First they kill the town’s sole sheriff, then they prey on anyone passing through town. At least we get to witness how Thomas Hewitt — a.k.a. Leatherface — gets his monstrous start. (After being left for dead in a dumpster as a baby, he’s raised by a family of maniacs.) ”He ain’t retarded,” his adopted uncle says of Thomas. ”He’s just misunderstood.” The EXTRAS, which do little to fill the gaping holes left by the original TCM, are nearly as snooze-inducing as the actual movie. The deleted/extended scenes are 100-percent horror flick clichés, and the commentary by the director and producers praises the cast — including former Playmate Diora Baird and a boring Jordana Brewster — for what I found to be a general lack of theatrical aptitude. D+
(Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Van Redin)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Matthew Bomer, Jordana Brewster; Director: Jonathan Liebesman; Author: Sheldon Turner; Release Date Wide: 10/06/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 84; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted January 19 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday