Like a slasher-film psycho, John Ryder (Sean Bean), the homicidal road-rage terrorist who haunts a couple of college kids (Zachary Knighton and Sophia Bush) heading off for spring break, can show up anytime, anywhere: in a family’s station wagon, in a police interrogation room (how the heck did he get in there?), in your dreams. That’s the reason The Hitcher, a remake of the 1986 suspense ”classic,” is as processed and hoot-worthy as the original. Sean Bean, in the role Rutger Hauer sneered through, has a toxic charm, but about all the movie is effective at is insulting the audience.
(The Hitcher: Van Redin)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Sean Bean, Sophia Bush; Director: Dave Meyers; Author: Eric Bernt, Jake Wade Wall; Release Date Wide: 01/19/2007; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Rogue Pictures
Posted January 24 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation': What are the critics saying?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!