Band of Angels is an often absurd Civil War-era romantic tale of a white woman (Yvonne De Carlo) sold into slavery and the plantation owner who buys her finds Gable back in Gone With the Wind form as the handsome, roguish Southerner whose livelihood stands on the edge of extinction. While the film’s attempt to sell Gable as a kindly ”massa” verges on offensive, Poitier (as his educated ward) possesses a racial rage that presages the turmoil of the 1960s. Sadly, the film’s neutered conclusion reflects a less sophisticated time. EXTRAS None.
Band of Angels Band of Angels is an often absurd Civil War-era romantic tale of a white woman (Yvonne De Carlo) sold into slavery and the plantation...Band of AngelsRomanceIvan Goff, Ben RobertsPT127MUnrated Band of Angels is an often absurd Civil War-era romantic tale of a white woman (Yvonne De Carlo) sold into slavery and the plantation...2007-01-26
Genre: Romance; Starring: Yvonne DeCarlo, Clark Gable, Sidney Poitier; Director: Raoul Walsh; Author: Ivan Goff, Ben Roberts; Runtime (in minutes): 127; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted January 26 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- F is for Favorites: Maria from Sesame Street recalls her 7 favorite episodes
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July boxoffice no picnic for Hollywood
- Michael Fassbender is the Dude for upcoming 'Big Lebowski' live read in Montreal
- ESPN pulls golf tourney off Trump course
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!