Pfeiffer warbled ”Makin’ Whoopee” on a piano and writhed into the hearts of men everywhere, but this superb debut from Steve Kloves — the screenwriter behind Wonder Boys and the Harry Potter series — has much more going for it than her sultry, Oscar-nominated turn. The Fabulous Baker Boys is the tale of a pair of has-been lounge-lizard siblings (the brothers Bridges, both excellent) taking on a feisty chanteuse is the kind of bluesy romantic drama we rarely see anymore; nearly every scene is a jazz-tinged, virtuoso actors’ duet. EXTRAS None.
Genre: Drama, Romance, Comedy; Starring: Beau Bridges, Jeff Bridges, Michelle Pfeiffer; Director: Steven Kloves; Author: Steven Kloves; Runtime (in minutes): 114; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted January 26 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!