In Ali Liebegott’s The IHOP Papers, Francesca, a 20-year-old virgin, deals with coming out (and everything else) by cutting herself. She falls for her philosophy prof, follows her to San Francisco, and competes with a parade of male and female lovers. Fed up with the bi/lesbian drama, she moves out and gets a job at International House of Pancakes, where her adventures — which may turn you off flapjacks for good — become a fictionalized version of Barbara Ehrenreich’s Nickel and Dimed. Francesca’s reminders that she’s ”writing” the book can get annoying, but her story is a vivid reminder of how painful diner meals and coming out can be. B
The IHOP Papers In Ali Liebegott's The IHOP Papers, Francesca, a 20-year-old virgin, deals with coming out (and everything else) by cutting herself....The IHOP PapersFictionAli Liebegott In Ali Liebegott's The IHOP Papers, Francesca, a 20-year-old virgin, deals with coming out (and everything else) by cutting herself....2007-01-26Carroll & Graf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Ali Liebegott; Publisher: Carroll & Graf
Posted January 26 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- President Obama talks 'The Wire' with creator David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers won't return; Academy to search for new showrunners
- Craig T. Nelson returning as 'Coach' in NBC revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!