One of England’s most gossiped-about young singers played her first show in the U.S. last week. We were there. So were Jay-Z, Mos Def, Mark Ronson, and a small crowd lucky enough to score a ticket to the gig at Joe’s Pub, a cozy 160-seat club in Manhattan. In the U.K., Amy Winehouse is a pop star and tabloid regular due to her outrageous behavior, reported eating disorders, and performances where she appears to be very, very drunk. The bold-faced rappers didn’t just come for spectacle, however. Winehouse’s second album, Back to Black, is one of the most anticipated releases of the season (it hits U.S. stores March 13) thanks to the autobiographical single ”Rehab,” in which she huskily declares, ”They tried to make me go to rehab/I said, no, no, no!” Coming off like a trampy prom queen — black cocktail dress, amaretto sour in hand, unstable beehive hairdo — the 23-year-old Londoner juices up ’60s-style girl-group soul with hip-hop swagger. And unlike a lot of today’s vocal virtuosos, her swinging tunes about bad fellas (”Back to Black”) and heartache (”Tears Dry on Their Own”) feel authentically sorrowful. Sure, Winehouse keeps gossip columnists busy, but her New York coming-out proved she’s much more than mere shtick.
Posted January 26 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Sarah Michelle Gellar wonders if daughter could be a ‘Future Slayer’
- Ronda Rousey pays tribute to ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper
- British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies at 72
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!