The New York Times journalist Charlie LeDuff goes deeper and dirtier in US Guys, his new collection of essays about the ”twisted mind of the American man.” LeDuff immerses himself in an Oakland fight club, a sub-minor football league in Amarillo, Tex., and a traveling circus in Coos Bay, Ore. Testosterone bangs out of these pages; at times, the writing might have benefited from a cool, deep breath. Still, LeDuff’s a fearless, clear-eyed companion into parts of America that rarely see print. When he’s on, his sentences are unbeatable. On Oklahoma City: ”The landscape is so flat and barren you could probably watch your dog run away all day long.” What a trip. A-
US Guys The New York Times journalist Charlie LeDuff goes deeper and dirtier in US Guys, his new collection of essays about the '...US GuysNonfiction, EssaysCharlie LeDuff The New York Times journalist Charlie LeDuff goes deeper and dirtier in US Guys, his new collection of essays about the '...2007-01-26Penguin
Genre: Nonfiction, Essays; Author: Charlie LeDuff; Publisher: Penguin
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!