Chris Abani’s novel The Virgin of Flames isn’t an easy read. Black, a muralist in East L.A., struggles with his sexuality, his race, his poverty, and his art. His friends include a Rwandan refugee-turned-butcher, a psychic tattoo artist, and a drugged-out dwarf; he’s obsessed with a transsexual stripper, regularly visited by the angel Gabriel, and likely going crazy. Through symbolism both Catholic and apocalyptic, Abani lets his vast descriptive powers run wild. But Virgin struggles under its own weight, so chock-full of imagery that processing it all is like trying to canoe the Los Angeles River: Sometimes you have to get out and push. B+
The Virgin of Flames Chris Abani's novel The Virgin of Flames isn't an easy read. Black, a muralist in East L.A., struggles with his sexuality, his race,...The Virgin of FlamesFictionChris Abani Chris Abani's novel The Virgin of Flames isn't an easy read. Black, a muralist in East L.A., struggles with his sexuality, his race,...2007-01-26Penguin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Chris Abani; Publisher: Penguin
Posted January 26 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!