Chris Abani’s novel The Virgin of Flames isn’t an easy read. Black, a muralist in East L.A., struggles with his sexuality, his race, his poverty, and his art. His friends include a Rwandan refugee-turned-butcher, a psychic tattoo artist, and a drugged-out dwarf; he’s obsessed with a transsexual stripper, regularly visited by the angel Gabriel, and likely going crazy. Through symbolism both Catholic and apocalyptic, Abani lets his vast descriptive powers run wild. But Virgin struggles under its own weight, so chock-full of imagery that processing it all is like trying to canoe the Los Angeles River: Sometimes you have to get out and push. B+
The Virgin of Flames Chris Abani's novel The Virgin of Flames isn't an easy read. Black, a muralist in East L.A., struggles with his sexuality, his race,...The Virgin of FlamesFictionChris Abani Chris Abani's novel The Virgin of Flames isn't an easy read. Black, a muralist in East L.A., struggles with his sexuality, his race,...2007-01-26Penguin
Genre: Fiction; Author: Chris Abani; Publisher: Penguin
Posted January 26 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on Team Street's best exit
- 'Daily Show with Trevor Noah' promo previews a few changes with new host
- See T-Pain sing the national anthem at a Dodgers game
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!