Even Christina Aguilera haters have to admit, the gal’s not your run-of-the-mill pop tart. MTV News is reporting that the third single from Xtina’s Back to Basics double disc will be “Candyman” (currently streaming here, at the artist’s MySpace page), and to my ears, it’s the romping-est, big-band-iest single by a popular singer since Madonna’s “Hanky Panky.” Not surprisingly, Xtina’s in great voice on this ode to a bad-boy beau, and if you close your eyes, you can practically picture a video filled with a rousing bouts of jitterbug and a flurry of jazz-hands. Oh, wait, the jazz-hands part is me, sitting here at the computer. And miracles do happen because my office door is closed. But speaking of miracles, does a track this retro stand a chance on the Billboard charts? My heart is hoping yes, but in a tuneless world where Gwen Stefani’s unspeakable “Wind It Up” can crack the top 10, my mind fears otherwise. What say you, PopWatchers?
Posted January 29 2007 — 6:25 PM EST
- Advocacy group criticizes 'The Martian' for changing Asian-American characters
- Julie Plec blogs the season 3 premiere of 'The Originals'
- Luke Evans, Henry Cavill join Nicholas Hoult in 'Sand Castle'
- This new preview of 'Room' will make you want to call your mom
- Julie's Diary: Julie Plec blogs the 'Vampire Diaries' season 7 premiere
- 'Game of Thrones' cast speculates about season 6 (and beyond) at NYCC
- 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' adds a new cast member