In the summer of 1774, George Bogle, an East India Company envoy, packed up the best in European invention and, with a crew of 63 servants, set off to lead the first British expedition across the Himalayas into Tibet. His twofold mission: to study ”the customs and manners of the people” and to cultivate the Third Panchen Lama, Tibet’s Buddhist leader, as a trading partner (and potential route to Peking, the greater commercial prize). Bogle gained an audience with the Lama (”a fat, short man, and as merry as a Cricket”) and the two struck up a lasting friendship based on mutual curiosity: Bogle gamely exchanged tight breeches for fur-lined robes and learned Tibetan law and language, while the Lama eagerly quizzed his guest on Western practices (Bogle struggled to explain dueling to the nonviolence-practicing Lama). Unfortunately, Kate Teltscher’s The High Road to China loses its momentum when it leaves the Tibetan sojourn behind for less-compelling topics like political rivalries at the East India Company. Still, Teltscher offers a worthwhile footnote to the history of two imperialist empires and a beguiling glimpse of a culture that exists now only in exile. B
The High Road to ChinaIn the summer of 1774, George Bogle, an East India Company envoy, packed up the best in European invention and, with a crew of 63 servants, set off to...The High Road to ChinaMemoir, NonfictionKate TeltscherIn the summer of 1774, George Bogle, an East India Company envoy, packed up the best in European invention and, with a crew of 63 servants, set off to...2007-01-31Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Memoir, Nonfiction; Author: Kate Teltscher; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted January 31 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!