In the summer of 1774, George Bogle, an East India Company envoy, packed up the best in European invention and, with a crew of 63 servants, set off to lead the first British expedition across the Himalayas into Tibet. His twofold mission: to study ”the customs and manners of the people” and to cultivate the Third Panchen Lama, Tibet’s Buddhist leader, as a trading partner (and potential route to Peking, the greater commercial prize). Bogle gained an audience with the Lama (”a fat, short man, and as merry as a Cricket”) and the two struck up a lasting friendship based on mutual curiosity: Bogle gamely exchanged tight breeches for fur-lined robes and learned Tibetan law and language, while the Lama eagerly quizzed his guest on Western practices (Bogle struggled to explain dueling to the nonviolence-practicing Lama). Unfortunately, Kate Teltscher’s The High Road to China loses its momentum when it leaves the Tibetan sojourn behind for less-compelling topics like political rivalries at the East India Company. Still, Teltscher offers a worthwhile footnote to the history of two imperialist empires and a beguiling glimpse of a culture that exists now only in exile. B
The High Road to ChinaIn the summer of 1774, George Bogle, an East India Company envoy, packed up the best in European invention and, with a crew of 63 servants, set off to...The High Road to ChinaMemoir, NonfictionKate TeltscherIn the summer of 1774, George Bogle, an East India Company envoy, packed up the best in European invention and, with a crew of 63 servants, set off to...2007-01-31Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Memoir, Nonfiction; Author: Kate Teltscher; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted January 31 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!