”You can’t write columns and hide who you are,” claims former Philadelphia Daily News and Sacramento Bee scribe Pete Dexter (who also authored the novel Paris Trout). If that’s true, then Paper Trails, a collection of 82 pieces, reveals a man of two moods: intense or shlocky. That first, more interesting half writes about odd, sad, and marginalized characters, some the victims of incredibly vicious crimes (such as a man robbed, disembowled, and left for dead) and others just subject to the cruel whims of fate. Unfortunately, the other Dexter — the one who writes folksy tales about cats and dogs and pigs — minimizes those accomplishments with a glut of sentimentality. B-
Paper Trails ''You can't write columns and hide who you are,'' claims former Philadelphia Daily News and Sacramento Bee scribe Pete Dexter (who also authored the...Paper TrailsEssays, NonfictionPete Dexter ''You can't write columns and hide who you are,'' claims former Philadelphia Daily News and Sacramento Bee scribe Pete Dexter (who also authored the...2007-01-31Ecco Press
Genre: Essays, Nonfiction; Author: Pete Dexter; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted January 31 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!