”You can’t write columns and hide who you are,” claims former Philadelphia Daily News and Sacramento Bee scribe Pete Dexter (who also authored the novel Paris Trout). If that’s true, then Paper Trails, a collection of 82 pieces, reveals a man of two moods: intense or shlocky. That first, more interesting half writes about odd, sad, and marginalized characters, some the victims of incredibly vicious crimes (such as a man robbed, disembowled, and left for dead) and others just subject to the cruel whims of fate. Unfortunately, the other Dexter — the one who writes folksy tales about cats and dogs and pigs — minimizes those accomplishments with a glut of sentimentality. B-
Paper Trails ''You can't write columns and hide who you are,'' claims former Philadelphia Daily News and Sacramento Bee scribe Pete Dexter (who also authored the...Paper TrailsEssays, NonfictionPete Dexter ''You can't write columns and hide who you are,'' claims former Philadelphia Daily News and Sacramento Bee scribe Pete Dexter (who also authored the...2007-01-31Ecco Press
Genre: Essays, Nonfiction; Author: Pete Dexter; Publisher: Ecco Press
Posted January 31 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!