If you’re new to the slinky pleasures of Paul Auster’s fiction, don’t start with his new novella Travels in the Scriptorium, as it derives all of its slow-burning, strange brilliance from at least a passing familiarity with some of the author’s previous titles. But do wind up here eventually, because Auster’s bleak gamesmanship again reaps its usual spooky, minimalist rewards. An old man called Mr. Blank wakes up in a sterile furnished room, with no memory of the days before, unsure if he’s a prisoner or a patient. Who is he? What is this book we’re reading? As in other Auster works, the answers — if you can call them that — confound, pleasurably so.
Travels in the ScriptoriumIf you're new to the slinky pleasures of Paul Auster's fiction, don't start with his new novella Travels in the Scriptorium, as it...Travels in the ScriptoriumFiction, Mystery and ThrillerPaul AusterIf you're new to the slinky pleasures of Paul Auster's fiction, don't start with his new novella Travels in the Scriptorium, as it...2007-01-31Henry Holt & Company
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Paul Auster; Publisher: Henry Holt & Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!