”Cuban hip-hop” isn’t a well-known subgenre, and El Cartel — a trio of rappers making unapproved music under the thumb of Castro — aren’t exactly the Wu-Tang Clan. In a more open society, this game but muted documentary suggests, Mikki Flow, Soandry, and Magyori would be superstars; yet superstardom (in the maximalist American sense) is something they distrust. East of Havana picks at these politico-philosophical threads rather than pulling them, and the sense of a larger movement is fleeting. There’s a beat, but we never quite see who’s dancing to it. B-
East of Havana''Cuban hip-hop'' isn't a well-known subgenre, and El Cartel — a trio of rappers making unapproved music under the thumb of Castro — aren't...East of HavanaDocumentaryPT82MUnrated''Cuban hip-hop'' isn't a well-known subgenre, and El Cartel — a trio of rappers making unapproved music under the thumb of Castro — aren't...2007-02-07Sony BMG
Genre: Documentary; Director: Emilia Menocal, Juaretsi Saizarbitoria; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Sony BMG
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'The Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!