”Cuban hip-hop” isn’t a well-known subgenre, and El Cartel — a trio of rappers making unapproved music under the thumb of Castro — aren’t exactly the Wu-Tang Clan. In a more open society, this game but muted documentary suggests, Mikki Flow, Soandry, and Magyori would be superstars; yet superstardom (in the maximalist American sense) is something they distrust. East of Havana picks at these politico-philosophical threads rather than pulling them, and the sense of a larger movement is fleeting. There’s a beat, but we never quite see who’s dancing to it. B-
East of Havana''Cuban hip-hop'' isn't a well-known subgenre, and El Cartel — a trio of rappers making unapproved music under the thumb of Castro — aren't...East of HavanaDocumentaryPT82MUnrated''Cuban hip-hop'' isn't a well-known subgenre, and El Cartel — a trio of rappers making unapproved music under the thumb of Castro — aren't...2007-02-07Sony BMG
Genre: Documentary; Director: Emilia Menocal, Juaretsi Saizarbitoria; Release Date Limited: 02/02/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Sony BMG
Posted February 7 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' actor to guest on Fox's 'Minority Report'
- Hulk Hogan: The N-word was part of my 'daily environment' growing up
- Eddie Redmayne hopes 'Fantastic Beasts' will be 'quite a ride'
- New 'Sicario' clip ratchets up the tension for Emily Blunt
- Hulu launches ad-free subscription model
- Donald Trump weighs in on Kanye's presidential candidacy announcement
- See the funny, scary opening credits for 'Scream Queens'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!