This slick adaptation of Augusten Burroughs’ fanciful memoir of a boundary-free childhood establishes a vibrant, music-video-esque palette; the grade-A cast (especially the exquisite Annette Bening) lands every line; comedy and pathos fight tooth and nail for narrative pull. It’s invigorating entertainment, but we can’t connect to these caricatures. EXTRAS A less-than-incisive interview with Burroughs and quickie featurettes…set to a soft-core porn soundtrack. A nod to Scissors’ ’70s setting, or a horrible miscalculation? B-
(Running with Scissors: Suzanne Tenner)
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Annette Bening, Joseph Cross, Alec Baldwin, Jill Clayburgh, Brian Cox, Joseph Fiennes, Gwyneth Paltrow, Evan Rachel Wood; Director: Ryan Murphy; Author: Ryan Murphy; Release Date Limited: 10/20/2006; Release Date Wide: 10/27/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: TriStar Pictures
Posted February 7 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Adele's '25' surges past 3 million in sales in the U.S.
- Hear Adele's '25' as a four-minute mash-up because you deserve it
- Chris Martin debuts new Coldplay track 'Everglow,' feat. Gwyneth Paltrow
- What EW staffers are thankful for this year
- Big Apple Circus performer juggles at 'Hamilton' pre-show
- The year in Shondaland: A look back with Shonda Rhimes & her leading ladies
- Colbert tackles Thanksgiving controversies on 'The Late Show'