White teacher (Ryan Gosling) saves urban youth. It’s a Hollywood cliché, but in Half Nelson, when a student (Shareeka Epps) catches Mr. Dunne smoking crack in the girls’ locker room, the two are irrevocably entangled in each other’s precarious lives. EXTRAS Gosling’s vulnerable turn (and Oscar nom) solidifies him as a major dramatic talent, though he lightens up in a series of outtakes punctuated by goofy thumbs-ups. ”Gowanus, Brooklyn,” the 19-minute short (starring Epps) that inspired Nelson, would’ve been nice extra credit, but its absence is this DVD’s only demerit. A
Genre: Drama; Starring: Shareeka Epps, Ryan Gosling, Anthony Mackie; Director: Ryan Fleck; Author: Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck; Runtime (in minutes): 107; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted February 12 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Neil Young pulls music from streaming services
- Alec Baldwin auditioned to play Henry Hill in 'Goodfellas'
- Jason Sudeikis to star in really unique Fox comedy project
- Meet Stone Crandall, Chris Hemsworth's well-endowed hunk in 'Vacation'
- Exclusive photos and intel on new characters from season 6 of ‘The Walking Dead'
- 'CSI' casts 'Faking It' star Katie Stevens for finale
- Christina Applegate on turning down 'Legally Blonde': 'What a stupid move'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!