After exploring the euphoria and pain of love in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, director Michel Gondry delves into the wonder of dreams in The Science of Sleep. Gael García Bernal plays Stéphane, a man-child whose sleeping and waking lives blend and blur indistinguishably. The film is full of fantastical images (an animated city of toilet paper rolls, a stuffed horse galloping through an apartment), but there’s little story to wrap its whimsy around. EXTRAS In a making-of, a crew member shares Gondry’s philosophy: ”If an idea is good, it’s on the verge of being stupid.” B-
Genre: Drama, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Charlotte Gainsbourg, Gael García Bernal, Alain Chabat, Miou-Miou; Director: Michel Gondry; Author: Michel Gondry; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Independent Pictures
Posted February 12 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American' in July 4 post
- Lil Wayne debuts his 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- Taylor Swift, Jimmy Fallon, more celebs spend July 4 on Instagram, Twitter
- 'Crimson Peak' exclusive: Mia Wasikowska flees the darkness in Guillermo del Toro's Gothic chiller
- Beach reads: 15 heart-stopping thrillers to dive into this summer
- Zack Snyder defends ‘Man of Steel’ ending: You can’t have superheroes knock around with no consequences
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!