After exploring the euphoria and pain of love in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, director Michel Gondry delves into the wonder of dreams in The Science of Sleep. Gael García Bernal plays Stéphane, a man-child whose sleeping and waking lives blend and blur indistinguishably. The film is full of fantastical images (an animated city of toilet paper rolls, a stuffed horse galloping through an apartment), but there’s little story to wrap its whimsy around. EXTRAS In a making-of, a crew member shares Gondry’s philosophy: ”If an idea is good, it’s on the verge of being stupid.” B-
Genre: Drama, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Charlotte Gainsbourg, Gael García Bernal, Alain Chabat, Miou-Miou; Director: Michel Gondry; Author: Michel Gondry; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: Warner Independent Pictures
Posted February 12 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters