As Allegra, a bisexual New York novelist carrying on concurrent love affairs in Puccini for Beginners with fluttery Gretchen Mol and stoic Justin Kirk, Elizabeth Reaser, so vibrant in last year’s Sweet Land, has a bloom that recalls Debra Winger in her playful prime. She makes sensual confusion seem sexy and wise. The plot, which spins around Allegra’s lovers having just been an item, is awkward bedroom farce, but the tone is Woody Allen-meets-The L Word, with a patina of literary cuteness that now seems like the sound of a vanished Manhattan. B-
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Justin Kirk, Elizabeth Reaser, Gretchen Mol; Director: Maria Maggenti; Author: Maria Maggenti; Release Date Limited: 02/02/2007; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Strand Releasing
Posted February 14 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!