The plot points of Monica Drake’s Clown Girl are a parade of quirks: Down-and-out clown Nita (stage name: Sniffles) waits for her beloved to return to Baloneytown. She pays the rent with demeaning party gigs — twisting balloons into pietàs — while developing a Chaplinesque version of Kafka’s Metamorphosis. Add in a pot-dealing ex and a rubber-chicken subplot, and it seems like a formula for disaster. Amazingly, Drake finds an emotional through-line in Nita’s stubborn dedication to comedy in the face of disappointment. Riffing on language and revising her jokes in nervous flurries, Nita is the most endearingly teary clown since Smokey Robinson. A-
Clown Girl The plot points of Monica Drake's Clown Girl are a parade of quirks: Down-and-out clown Nita (stage name: Sniffles) waits for her...Clown GirlFictionMonica Drake The plot points of Monica Drake's Clown Girl are a parade of quirks: Down-and-out clown Nita (stage name: Sniffles) waits for her...2007-02-16
Genre: Fiction; Author: Monica Drake
Posted February 16 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!