”Wouldn’t it be great if we could get them burning CDs and banning you from the radio?” muses Dixie Chicks manager Simon Renshaw to the less-than-convinced country trio in the documentary Shut Up & Sing (R, 93 mins., 2006). At the time, news has just broken that lead singer Natalie Maines told a London audience she was ashamed that George W. Bush, then preparing to attack Iraq, was from Texas. We don’t know for sure whether Maines & Co. subsequently made Renshaw write ”Be careful what you wish for” a thousand times on a chalkboard. But had they done so, it would surely have been recorded in this authoritative film about the ensuing anti-Chicks backlash and the ways the band dealt with it. (Full disclosure: One of those ways was by appearing, naked and covered with slogans, on a cover of EW; a less-racy version of that photo decorates the DVD box.) Granted extremely extensive behind-the-scenes access, filmmakers Barbara Kopple and Cecilia Peck have crafted a great film about country music and an even better one about the country in which we live.
Shut Up & Sing ''Wouldn't it be great if we could get them burning CDs and banning you from the radio?'' muses Dixie Chicks manager Simon Renshaw to the less-than...Shut Up & SingMusical, DocumentaryPT93MR ''Wouldn't it be great if we could get them burning CDs and banning you from the radio?'' muses Dixie Chicks manager Simon Renshaw to the less-than...2007-02-16The Weinstein Company
Genre: Musical, Documentary; Director: Barbara Kopple, Cecilia Peck; Release Date Limited: 10/27/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 93; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted February 16 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Creed,' 'Empire,' 'Black-ish' win big at NAACP Image Awards
- Ethan Hawke to play resurrected assassin in '24 Hours to Live'
- CBS orders medical drama pilot 'Sensory' from Ridley Scott, David Zabel
- The Originals: Julie Plec blogs the return of Josh
- Julie's Diary: 'Vampire Diaries' boss goes behind the scenes on Paul Wesley-directed episode
- What if movies ended when someone spoke the title?
- Lady Gaga to be honored by Grammy Museum