A pre-Oscars must-watch: Misplaced buzz soars when a gossip site mentions a dreadful movie’s actors as statuette-worthy. (Catherine O’Hara’s washed-up lead gets a lip-and-boob job to prep.) On-set satire cuts deep, but a recurring Access Hollywood spoof kills. Nutty? For sure. Unreal? Not exactly. EXTRAS ”Dumber is actually better,” says director-star-scribe Christopher Guest of his characters in a commentary with co-writer Eugene Levy. ”It’s a competition to be more stupid.” Nearly 40 minutes of cut scenes amplify the movie’s charm. B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, Parker Posey, Harry Shearer, Bob Balaban, Ed Begley Jr., Jennifer Coolidge, Ricky Gervais, Jane Lynch, Michael McKean, Chris Moynihan, Catherine O'Hara, Fred Willard; Director: Christopher Guest; Author: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy; Release Date Limited: 11/17/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Independent Pictures
Posted February 16 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- See the funny, scary opening credits for 'Scream Queens'
- What Derek Hough thinks of new 'DWTS' partner Bindi Irwin
- See the most popular passages from every single 'Outlander' book
- Yo La Tengo on making a sequel to their revered album 'Fakebook'
- Netflix's 'Lady Dynamite' adds Patton Oswalt, Sarah Silverman to guest cast
- See exclusive new art from 'The Angry Birds Movie'
- Heavy metal meets demonic mayhem in 'Deathgasm' trailer
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!