A pre-Oscars must-watch: Misplaced buzz soars when a gossip site mentions a dreadful movie’s actors as statuette-worthy. (Catherine O’Hara’s washed-up lead gets a lip-and-boob job to prep.) On-set satire cuts deep, but a recurring Access Hollywood spoof kills. Nutty? For sure. Unreal? Not exactly. EXTRAS ”Dumber is actually better,” says director-star-scribe Christopher Guest of his characters in a commentary with co-writer Eugene Levy. ”It’s a competition to be more stupid.” Nearly 40 minutes of cut scenes amplify the movie’s charm. B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, Parker Posey, Harry Shearer, Bob Balaban, Ed Begley Jr., Jennifer Coolidge, Ricky Gervais, Jane Lynch, Michael McKean, Chris Moynihan, Catherine O'Hara, Fred Willard; Director: Christopher Guest; Author: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy; Release Date Limited: 11/17/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Independent Pictures
Posted February 16 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Philinda finally going to happen?
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- Stephen Colbert compares Donald Trump to Voldemort
- 'This Is Us': Dan Fogelman breaks down Jack and William revelations
- Trump-inspired 'Law & Order: SVU' episode gets post-election air date
- 'This Is Us': Milo Ventimiglia on Jack's fate
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival: New posters feature three generations, plus Luke
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop