A pre-Oscars must-watch: Misplaced buzz soars when a gossip site mentions a dreadful movie’s actors as statuette-worthy. (Catherine O’Hara’s washed-up lead gets a lip-and-boob job to prep.) On-set satire cuts deep, but a recurring Access Hollywood spoof kills. Nutty? For sure. Unreal? Not exactly. EXTRAS ”Dumber is actually better,” says director-star-scribe Christopher Guest of his characters in a commentary with co-writer Eugene Levy. ”It’s a competition to be more stupid.” Nearly 40 minutes of cut scenes amplify the movie’s charm. B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, Parker Posey, Harry Shearer, Bob Balaban, Ed Begley Jr., Jennifer Coolidge, Ricky Gervais, Jane Lynch, Michael McKean, Chris Moynihan, Catherine O'Hara, Fred Willard; Director: Christopher Guest; Author: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Independent Pictures
Posted February 16 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt