A pre-Oscars must-watch: Misplaced buzz soars when a gossip site mentions a dreadful movie’s actors as statuette-worthy. (Catherine O’Hara’s washed-up lead gets a lip-and-boob job to prep.) On-set satire cuts deep, but a recurring Access Hollywood spoof kills. Nutty? For sure. Unreal? Not exactly. EXTRAS ”Dumber is actually better,” says director-star-scribe Christopher Guest of his characters in a commentary with co-writer Eugene Levy. ”It’s a competition to be more stupid.” Nearly 40 minutes of cut scenes amplify the movie’s charm. B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, Parker Posey, Harry Shearer, Bob Balaban, Ed Begley Jr., Jennifer Coolidge, Ricky Gervais, Jane Lynch, Michael McKean, Chris Moynihan, Catherine O'Hara, Fred Willard; Director: Christopher Guest; Author: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Independent Pictures
Posted February 16 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney on London stage: Watch
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!