A pre-Oscars must-watch: Misplaced buzz soars when a gossip site mentions a dreadful movie’s actors as statuette-worthy. (Catherine O’Hara’s washed-up lead gets a lip-and-boob job to prep.) On-set satire cuts deep, but a recurring Access Hollywood spoof kills. Nutty? For sure. Unreal? Not exactly. EXTRAS ”Dumber is actually better,” says director-star-scribe Christopher Guest of his characters in a commentary with co-writer Eugene Levy. ”It’s a competition to be more stupid.” Nearly 40 minutes of cut scenes amplify the movie’s charm. B+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, Parker Posey, Harry Shearer, Bob Balaban, Ed Begley Jr., Jennifer Coolidge, Ricky Gervais, Jane Lynch, Michael McKean, Chris Moynihan, Catherine O'Hara, Fred Willard; Director: Christopher Guest; Author: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy; Release Date Limited: 11/17/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Independent Pictures
Posted February 16 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'