It’s axiomatic that the more a superhero looks like the spawn of Satan, the more of a softy he is inside. As Johnny Blaze, a daredevil biker who sells his soul, becoming the vengeful Ghost Rider, Nicolas Cage passes off droopiness as acting. The Ghost Rider himself makes for a nifty image, with a skull that pokes out of his spiked leather jacket and pops into flames like a cigarette lighter. But everything else in Ghost Rider(the story, the visual energy, Peter Fonda channeling Jack Nicholson as the devil) is so much flatter than it was on the comic-book page that an image is all he is. C-
(Sony Pictures Imageworks)
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Nicolas Cage, Wes Bentley, Eva Mendes; Director: Mark Steven Johnson; Author: Mark Steven Johnson; Release Date Wide: 02/16/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 114; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted February 21 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- How ABBA (and that ‘Waterloo’ scene) made it into 'Muriel’s Wedding'
- First look of 'Big Brother' contestants on 'Bold and the Beautiful'
- Mark Hamill denies flubbing Leia's name in 'Star Wars'
- Quentin Tarantino: Black critics 'have to deal with me'
- Keegan-Michael Key and Ray Liotta to guest-star on 'Modern Family'
- Shock Treatment: Match the surprising plots with the twists
- We Called It! We Blew It! What EW critics got right and wrong
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6
- Cast Reunions: See Costars Then And Now