The heroine of Liam Callanan’s All Saints is Emily Hamilton, a 50-year-old teacher at All Saints Catholic High School in Newport Beach, Calif. Hamilton is also a thrice-divorced smoker who has an affair with an 18-year-old student while flirting with a possibly septuagenarian priest. She tries, haltingly, to heal the wounds of her failed marriages and a past miscarriage, as she struggles watching her pupils fall apart. Callanan doesn’t shelter his heroine, nor does he make room for judgment. She speaks with a voice that is frustratingly real and endearing, bestowed with a truthful grace. It just seems odd that Callanan depicts this churchgoing theologian’s relationship with God essentially as an afterthought. B
All Saints The heroine of Liam Callanan's All Saints is Emily Hamilton, a 50-year-old teacher at All Saints Catholic High School in Newport Beach...All SaintsFictionLiam Callanan The heroine of Liam Callanan's All Saints is Emily Hamilton, a 50-year-old teacher at All Saints Catholic High School in Newport Beach...2007-02-23Delacorte
Genre: Fiction; Author: Liam Callanan; Publisher: Delacorte
Posted February 23 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bob Dylan thanks Nobel Prize committee for honoring his songs as literature
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony