The heroine of Liam Callanan’s All Saints is Emily Hamilton, a 50-year-old teacher at All Saints Catholic High School in Newport Beach, Calif. Hamilton is also a thrice-divorced smoker who has an affair with an 18-year-old student while flirting with a possibly septuagenarian priest. She tries, haltingly, to heal the wounds of her failed marriages and a past miscarriage, as she struggles watching her pupils fall apart. Callanan doesn’t shelter his heroine, nor does he make room for judgment. She speaks with a voice that is frustratingly real and endearing, bestowed with a truthful grace. It just seems odd that Callanan depicts this churchgoing theologian’s relationship with God essentially as an afterthought. B
All Saints The heroine of Liam Callanan's All Saints is Emily Hamilton, a 50-year-old teacher at All Saints Catholic High School in Newport Beach...All SaintsFictionLiam Callanan The heroine of Liam Callanan's All Saints is Emily Hamilton, a 50-year-old teacher at All Saints Catholic High School in Newport Beach...2007-02-23Delacorte
Genre: Fiction; Author: Liam Callanan; Publisher: Delacorte
Posted February 23 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!