The heroine of Liam Callanan’s All Saints is Emily Hamilton, a 50-year-old teacher at All Saints Catholic High School in Newport Beach, Calif. Hamilton is also a thrice-divorced smoker who has an affair with an 18-year-old student while flirting with a possibly septuagenarian priest. She tries, haltingly, to heal the wounds of her failed marriages and a past miscarriage, as she struggles watching her pupils fall apart. Callanan doesn’t shelter his heroine, nor does he make room for judgment. She speaks with a voice that is frustratingly real and endearing, bestowed with a truthful grace. It just seems odd that Callanan depicts this churchgoing theologian’s relationship with God essentially as an afterthought. B
All Saints The heroine of Liam Callanan's All Saints is Emily Hamilton, a 50-year-old teacher at All Saints Catholic High School in Newport Beach...All SaintsFictionLiam Callanan The heroine of Liam Callanan's All Saints is Emily Hamilton, a 50-year-old teacher at All Saints Catholic High School in Newport Beach...2007-02-23Delacorte
Genre: Fiction; Author: Liam Callanan; Publisher: Delacorte
Posted February 23 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- Billy Eichner's trailer was hit by a truck while he was inside
- ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons to star in Discovery pilot 'Rockin' Roadsters'
- 'The Flash' star Danielle Panabaker teases Killer Frost's icy Earth-2 debut
- Jacob Tremblay continues to be charming, poses with Sylvester Stallone
- See Shepard Fairey's poster for Michael Moore's 'Where To Invade Next'
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: George Lopez has 'white-man problems' in 'Lopez'
- Lena Dunham opens up about endometriosis in Facebook post