”I hear and see ghosts in sounds,” says Harry Wilkes in Joe R. Lansdale’s Lost Echoes. Wilkes is a tortured guy who’s doomed to silently watch murders, suicides, and beatings from the past. All it takes is a loud sound — for example, slamming the same door a murderer shut — to conjure a violent episode. When a friend’s father mysteriously dies, Harry ”visits” the scene for details that expose a twisted chain of events. Clues protrude like sore thumbs, and the overly simple characters (the dopey friend, the bitchy girlfriend) seem prepackaged for a TV movie. But quick-and-punchy chapters — about as deep as the premise — keep the narrative clipping along. B-
Lost Echoes ''I hear and see ghosts in sounds,'' says Harry Wilkes in Joe R. Lansdale's Lost Echoes. Wilkes is a tortured guy who's doomed to...Lost EchoesFiction, Mystery and ThrillerJoe R. Lansdale ''I hear and see ghosts in sounds,'' says Harry Wilkes in Joe R. Lansdale's Lost Echoes. Wilkes is a tortured guy who's doomed to...2007-02-23Vintage
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Joe R. Lansdale; Publisher: Vintage
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!