”I hear and see ghosts in sounds,” says Harry Wilkes in Joe R. Lansdale’s Lost Echoes. Wilkes is a tortured guy who’s doomed to silently watch murders, suicides, and beatings from the past. All it takes is a loud sound — for example, slamming the same door a murderer shut — to conjure a violent episode. When a friend’s father mysteriously dies, Harry ”visits” the scene for details that expose a twisted chain of events. Clues protrude like sore thumbs, and the overly simple characters (the dopey friend, the bitchy girlfriend) seem prepackaged for a TV movie. But quick-and-punchy chapters — about as deep as the premise — keep the narrative clipping along. B-
Lost Echoes ''I hear and see ghosts in sounds,'' says Harry Wilkes in Joe R. Lansdale's Lost Echoes. Wilkes is a tortured guy who's doomed to...Lost EchoesFiction, Mystery and ThrillerJoe R. Lansdale ''I hear and see ghosts in sounds,'' says Harry Wilkes in Joe R. Lansdale's Lost Echoes. Wilkes is a tortured guy who's doomed to...2007-02-23Vintage
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Joe R. Lansdale; Publisher: Vintage
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'Better Call Saul' insider on THAT Jimmy-Chuck shocker
- Casting Net: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski join voice cast of 'Animal Crackers'
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!