”I hear and see ghosts in sounds,” says Harry Wilkes in Joe R. Lansdale’s Lost Echoes. Wilkes is a tortured guy who’s doomed to silently watch murders, suicides, and beatings from the past. All it takes is a loud sound — for example, slamming the same door a murderer shut — to conjure a violent episode. When a friend’s father mysteriously dies, Harry ”visits” the scene for details that expose a twisted chain of events. Clues protrude like sore thumbs, and the overly simple characters (the dopey friend, the bitchy girlfriend) seem prepackaged for a TV movie. But quick-and-punchy chapters — about as deep as the premise — keep the narrative clipping along. B-
Lost Echoes ''I hear and see ghosts in sounds,'' says Harry Wilkes in Joe R. Lansdale's Lost Echoes. Wilkes is a tortured guy who's doomed to...Lost EchoesFiction, Mystery and ThrillerJoe R. Lansdale ''I hear and see ghosts in sounds,'' says Harry Wilkes in Joe R. Lansdale's Lost Echoes. Wilkes is a tortured guy who's doomed to...2007-02-23Vintage
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Joe R. Lansdale; Publisher: Vintage
Posted February 23 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!