”I hear and see ghosts in sounds,” says Harry Wilkes in Joe R. Lansdale’s Lost Echoes. Wilkes is a tortured guy who’s doomed to silently watch murders, suicides, and beatings from the past. All it takes is a loud sound — for example, slamming the same door a murderer shut — to conjure a violent episode. When a friend’s father mysteriously dies, Harry ”visits” the scene for details that expose a twisted chain of events. Clues protrude like sore thumbs, and the overly simple characters (the dopey friend, the bitchy girlfriend) seem prepackaged for a TV movie. But quick-and-punchy chapters — about as deep as the premise — keep the narrative clipping along. B-
Lost Echoes ''I hear and see ghosts in sounds,'' says Harry Wilkes in Joe R. Lansdale's Lost Echoes. Wilkes is a tortured guy who's doomed to...Lost EchoesFiction, Mystery and ThrillerJoe R. Lansdale ''I hear and see ghosts in sounds,'' says Harry Wilkes in Joe R. Lansdale's Lost Echoes. Wilkes is a tortured guy who's doomed to...2007-02-23Vintage
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Joe R. Lansdale; Publisher: Vintage
Posted February 23 2007 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- '90210' actress wants actors' ages off casting sites to prevent ageism
- Doug Liman to direct 'Justice League Dark' for Warner Bros.
- PaleyFest: Made in NY to feature 'Daily Show,' 'Homeland,' 'Elementary'
- Hear a never-released George Carlin bit about hating the police
- The Weeknd teases new music
- Jennifer Holliday joining 'The Color Purple' revival
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...